Get an
Unlimited Account!
Play Below Kryll
on Steam!
tebkanlo

25/10/15

I read about mostro's luck using the executable on Linux with Wine and wanted to try it on Mac.
For what I hear it works fine, but for what I see ...NOPE
Both if I right click on the Kryll.exe and choosing open with...> Wine or if I try to create an OS X app bundle with WineBottler I get the same result.
A grey window (screen to be precise, because it suddenly goes fullscreen) from which I can hear the sounds of loa, intro.mp4, even of username/password checkbox selection (clicking on their spot) and button too. But nothing more. I can only quit it via Application Switcher Quit or Force Quit, because Esc does nothing.

Any idea how this solve this problem?

I have an OS X 10.6.8, so maybe I need to update something like X11 or use some Winetricks but I'm not sure, I've not experience with Wine.
I forgot to say I do this with the Trial downloaded from here, should I hope to works fine with the Steam version?

Hope this can be, at least, of any help for the future developments.

mostro

25/10/15

Sorry to hear that. On Linux I really didn't do anything more than wine Kryll.exe and it worked right away.

Smackware

26/10/15

tebkanlo
I can't promise it will run as we never tested the game with WINE, but in case you are using the latest WINE version, maybe you can try with 1.7.8 or the exact version that mostro is using
Maybe it will help

• Edited on 26/10/15
  • Edited on 26/10/15
mostro

26/10/15

I'm using the latest stable version which is 1.6.2.

tebkanlo

26/10/15

I don't have much free time lately so I'll try 1.6.2 (weird I have 1.6.1 and I'm almost sure I updated).
From what I tried 1.7.8 is a bit harder do install. Following its intructions I get the message to not install it as root.
Maybe because I should have Xcode but the latest in the AppStore is for OS X 10.10 (I'm sure there must be some place for former versions but if they're 4GB like the lastest I think I will keep playing from browser)

tebkanlo

28/10/15

After disabling the fullscreen with fn + Esc it worked fine the first time I used it.
I said the first time cause I was almost sure I tried something like that before and wanted to retry it SOO...
In the order:

• the second time I couldn't disable the fullscreen
  • the third time I could (there seems to be a small window of opportunity, like BIOS, smashing the key at the booting) but...
  • all the following times it was slow. How slow? The picture was frozen on a frame hearing the intro.mp4 and the login screen music playing. I could see the frames changing only by switching windows.During this process the fan were working a lot, I guess I don't have enough CPU to run it like this. At least I gave it's something.

PS: I used WineBottler Combo a drag and drop version by Mike Kronenberg

• Edited on 28/10/15
mostro

28/10/15

Weird, I guess the Mac version of Wine has more issues than the linux one. Have you tried using the game settings to make the game run windowed next time you open it?.

Smackware

29/10/15

tebkanlo,
I will share my personal experience from today, but please note this is an unsupported way of running the game, so use this information at your own risk.

I managed to run the game very smoothly on my Yosemite by downloading WineBottler 1.7.53 (and the included wine version inside it)
(http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/)

I installed Adobe Air using the winebottler utility, and then just used the Wine executable to run the game from the commandline

/Applications/Wine.app/Contents/MacOS/Wine ./Kryll.exe

I see you already tried with wine bottler, so maybe this isn't too helping, but just in case.

• Edited on 29/10/15
tebkanlo

01/11/15

Thanks for your suggestion, but it didn't worked for me.
After the command line only the window asking to run directly or creating the bundle appeared. Then I could even waited Godot but nothing. Only double click or right click opened it but with same results as before.
Does it works smoothly every time? Cause, as I said, it did even for me the first time.

After I tried even applying adobe air winetrycks and using the reset button of adobe air (the one in winebottler tab "on my mac") several times, right after using that button once more, I had a little surprise...
15 GB of folders in my desktop vanished! Apparently just from there.
So now I'm a bit busy with PhotoRec.
I was lucky it was nothing worse.

• Edited on 01/11/15
mostro

01/11/15

> 15 GB of folders in my desktop vanished! Apparently just from there.
Ouch!. That's bad news but it's really weird that Smackware got the game to run on Mac, your case is strange :(.

tebkanlo

07/11/16

Recently I discovered Porting Kit Legacy(1), an app that in some part uses Wine to make .EXEs works on Mac.

I created a wrapper of the game with few clicks and passages (maybe more than those Wine did, can't remember for sure after a year) and, even if when I start running the screen is mostly frozen, after a click on the fullscreen button at login, it works perfectly.(2)

It works a bit slower (I noticed the web version works faster after the halloween update) but after all it was the same speed I played the game for months till now.
But I think if someone has an Snow Leopard as me, but with more than just the basic 1 GB ram as me, this wrapped exe would works as a charm

(1)Just to be clear Porting Kit Legacy is the version for OS X 10.6+, but there is even a version for 10.8+ just called Porting Kit

(2)Now that I think, I had some issue with the resolution when I first tried to play on Kongregate, like, it worked just in a browser zoom of 100% (but the flash window was too bigg for the web page) or around 80% (kind of like 640x470 screen size)

• Edited on 07/11/16
EULA | Privacy Policy | Report an issue | Contact us | Game client release notes | Approval to monetize